Re: How you got your first tuba (long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on June 19, 2001 at 12:44:57:

In Reply to: How you got your first tuba (long) posted by IG on June 19, 2001 at 01:08:59:

That's a great story! Mine isn't nearly as interesting. My first tuba was a birthday present form my wiffe, sort-of. I played cello through elementary and middle school and added tuba when I got to High School, because they didn't have an orchestra. I played for the first couple of years of college and then dropped it because I couldn't fit it into my schedule, I was an engineering major. I guess if it were enough of a priority at the time I would have found a way, but that's another story. Throughout this time I was playing on borrowed horns, all BBbs. (My parents bought me a cello and they figured that one instrument per child was sufficient)

About 20 years later my wife couldn't think of what to get me for my birthday so she decided to get me a tuba because I would occasionally talk about how I used to like playing. After much research she decided that there were too many different models to pick one out for me, so she gave me a card with the money that she had determined a tuba would cost during her research. I bought a King 2341 because I wanted a front action piston valve BBb and I always liked the Kings. This was my first tuba. I owned it for about 7 years before trading for my Conn 97J 2 years ago.

Follow Ups: