Re: Yamaha YFB-822

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on June 22, 2001 at 13:01:13:

In Reply to: Yamaha YFB-822 posted by Vince Underwood on June 21, 2001 at 18:11:03:

What are you going to use it for?

The Yamaha is a very well made and easy-playing tuba. It has a very pleasing tone that records well and can work in practically any situation. If you want a tuba particularly for higher orchestral repertoire, I'd keep looking before I decided on the Yamaha. Some people like it for high rep, some people don't.

I have never played a tuba that worked better in quintets than the Yamaha does. As a freelance horn to take in to a situation where you are not sure what you are going to be playing, it's perfect. It records very, very well. The core of the sound is very clear, but it also blends very well. It can cut through a full orchestra or balance in a quintet.

But before you decide, I'd check out the new Miraphone and the Gronitz. I haven't played either of these, but I've been hearing good things about both. Tony Clements sold his Yamaha for the Gronitz, Tommy Johnson is playing his Miraphone an awful lot from what I hear, and Alan Baer & John Van Houten both sold their B&S's for the Miraphones.

Follow Ups: