BBb Practice Horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Stephens on June 23, 2001 at 11:15:18:

If anyone is looking for a great sounding practice horn this summer; I have a 1968 Besson 3 top piston valve compensating tuba (S/N 400702) with a case and mouthpiece for sale. Price is $1,000.00 plus shippping. Instrument is located in Riverside, CA.

This tuba has served me well for the past year. It was my first and only tuba after returning to playing following a 25-year break. I am now playing in the church orchestra and I have succumbed to the peer pressure of being the only player without a shinny looking, mint condition instrument. So, I have just purchased a brand new Mirafone S191 and would like to generate some income.

This tuba is no showpiece, but it plays well and sounds great. Tuba has nickle silver valves, and valve slides. Lacquer finish is about 50% and tuba has small dents everywhere along bottom bow and outer branches. Plus a UPS crease in the back side of the bell and outside of bottom bow. Original Besson plywood case is heavily worn along the edges and is missing the handle and some of the black cloth covering in a few small spots.

There is plenty of information in the archives of this BBS concerning the quality of sound, intonation, and value of BBb Besson 3 valve tubas, and compensating horns in general. Please e-mail me for photos, and additional information.

Follow Ups: