Re: I need motivation!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on June 23, 2001 at 21:29:38:

In Reply to: I need motivation!! posted by Burned out on June 23, 2001 at 20:52:19:

I can sympathize with that! Just don't do what I did and ignore it and try to work through it. I just got more burnt out, and wound up taking a 3-year break.

Take a pseudo-vacation. By that I mean quit playing for a week for all intents and purposes. If you have to keep your chops up, then do a 15-20 minute Remington warm-up twice each day, then leave the horn in the corner. No etudes, no excerpts, no solos, no practicing. Spend the time doing something to refresh yourself physically and mentally. Go for a bike ride or a nature hike or a drive in the country. Spend some extra time with your significant other or friends. They will appreciate it, too. Be a "normal" person for a week. When you go back to your routine, alter it. Shake things up a bit. But don't let yourself get back into the rut.

You might also try to get a lesson from someone other than your usual teacher after your break. No disloyalty here; often a different viewpoint will give you something new to work on or a perspective that you may be needing. I also find that going to a concert and hearing really good playing tends to give some motivation, as does playing well myself on a concert.

You're not alone here; most of us have been there, and it's no fun at all. E-mail me off list if you need an ear.

Steve

Follow Ups: