Re: time off school (transferring)?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Farah on June 24, 2001 at 16:49:53:

In Reply to: time off school (transferring)? posted by Elizabeth K. on June 24, 2001 at 15:37:27:

Wow! If you can afford to take a year off a practice solid for 5 months, then you are in a fantastic position. I say to do it. Take lessons, travel to other cities of musicians whom you have heard of and study with them. Nothing like lighting a fire in your gut from hearing other people play who love to. Go to concerts (the atlanta symphony is great as I see you're possibly from Atlanta??).

You'll find when you break out of the school scene your playing will take on a personality of its own. I discovered this when I graduated school and started practicing on my own in my own house. I was getting that dreaded "practice room sound" and I was hearing these other students and playing in student orchestras which is great, but I had hit a wall. I started playing with complete parts with the stero of my favorite orchestras. Record yourself is also key. If you want to know if you're getting your ideas across, there is no better way. Try to practice in big rooms too. You need to fill up those just like the practice rooms--in addition, try to stay out of the small ones.

This is what I did. It worked. Good luck

Farah

Follow Ups: