Re: Re: I ACTUALLY attended Curtis

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on June 27, 2001 at 06:50:52:

In Reply to: Re: I ACTUALLY attended Curtis posted by anon on June 27, 2001 at 06:16:52:

Anon,
I understand your concern for finding a good teacher, but I feel that Eric's post is telling you the Mr. K is a good teacher. I feel that the best teachers lead by their own example and by maintaining the highest professional standards. Sometimes they cannot articulate their philosophies and techniques clearly, but even if they could we would have to adapt them to our own individual style. Maybe Mr. K isn't on the top ten or fifteen lists because he doesn't teach the same volume of students as these other teachers.
Also, in regards to a teacher not being able to play their horn, by applying to that theory, you would not have gotten any lessons from Arnold Jacobs in the last 5-6 years of his life. I witnessed masterclasses in which he had no horn played not one note, but helped students tremendously. I also understand that if you can get a lesson with Abe Torchinsky he probably wont be playing either. Both of these are basically related to medical reasons. Old age is tough on tuba players, but these players will have plenty of pertinent and useful knowledge for us younger guys. I have seen teachers on other instruments unable to play get successfull results as well.
Remember, there are two types of teachers: analytical and those who teach by example. Occasionally you'll find someone who has a mix of both, but it usually cannot be done at the same time. You'll need to find a balance of both to achieve the best results.
Matt G

Follow Ups: