comments from full-time pros wanted!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex on June 27, 2001 at 17:31:08:

I've been assigned to mentor an ambitious young tubist for the summer. This isn't supposed to be lessons; he already has a great teacher. This is more of a concentration on the aspects of what it is like to be a musician and earn a living from making music. I would like to be as comprehensive and true-to-the facts as possible. I know a little bit about freelancing, private teaching, being an artist in a business-oriented world and way too much about being a college musician, but I have yet to be tubist enough to win a full time gig for longer than a summer.

So.........

I would appreciate it if some of the people who do make their living from one or two main playing/ teaching jobs would email me and give me a short note about what they do, why they do or do not like it and how they got to this point in their careers. If these people would feel comfortable approximating a salary vs. cost of living, that would be appreciated, too.

I would never share this info with anyone other than this one young man, and I would keep the sources to myself, so even he would not know specifically who said what.

many thanks!

-Alex Lapins

Follow Ups: