Tuba Suggestions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brad on June 28, 2001 at 13:13:07:

I began playing Tuba again this summer, after a 10-year hiatus. I played an old 3-valve King in High School, a Yamaha 321 in College, and a 3-valve monster Besson in a community band. I consider myself a “serviceable” Tuba player. All were BB horns.

I have never owned a Tuba, always borrowed one. When I joined a large community group last fall, I laid hands on a nice little Besson Euphonium, and played that. This summer there was a shortage of Tuba players, so I offered up that I knew how to play, if someone lent me a horn. One of the guys in the band had a HUGE older King. I think that it is like a 3B). Upright, forward-facing detachable bell, four-valves on the front. It’s in ok shape for its age. No major dents, one loose weld, no lacquer, pipes are solid, some wear on the valves, but they are tight. The case weighs as much as the horn, so I often just carry it around without the case.

It sounds good, even though I’m running out of air playing it (either I’m getting old, a cold is affecting my playing or I need more exercise: ) I sit between two other tuba players, playing a Hirschbrunner and a Yamaha 641, and the horn that everyone comments on is this old King (people like the ‘fat’ sound). It works great for the outdoor concerts with the forward bell.

I’m thinking about switching back to Tuba again, depending on the needs of the group in the Fall. I’d like to get my own horn if I do this, I’m getting a bit tired of “borrowing” horns. I can’t afford anything terribly expensive. My 9 year old wants to start on my Besson euphonium next year, and could end up playing the tuba someday (especially if I had a decent horn laying about).

Should I just go ahead and purchase this King? What’s a reasonable price? I was thinking about getting a rotary horn, but people seem to be trending back valves again. Other horns that I have looked closely at include St. Petersburg’s and VMI’s (103 and 3301). I’m also partial to Besson instruments. I’m doing a little cost/benefit analysis…

Suggestions?

Brad

Follow Ups: