Re: funniest mistake/act of disobedience

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on June 29, 2001 at 13:45:27:

In Reply to: funniest mistake/act of disobedience posted by James McNeil on June 29, 2001 at 13:29:56:

My Sr. year of high school (1978-79) we were playing a rival high school - all the more so to me, because I had many friends there - and in the half-time show we were entering on an oblique from the upper left to the lower middle of the field. Upon reaching midfield, we were going to counter-march, so that the Jr.s & Sr.s in the back would then be in the front for the rest of the show. The freshmen in the front row were to march to the far hash marks, then stop for a few bars before we executed the countermarch.

Unfortunately, the field was marked for pro football, so the 'far hashmarks' were much closer than they should have been. Most, but not all, of the less experienced younger players who started in front freaked out and stopped, causing the older players to run into them. We wound up just stopping on the field, stopped playing, and just looked around at each other. I think some border collies finally just herded us off the field and back up into the stands. I'm not sure that's what happened, but I KNOW for SURE we didn't finish our show. Very embarrassing. Another occasional poster to this site was in that same band. Beau, how DID we get off the field?

---------

Of course, my wife made an even BIGGER mistake playing music. She played saxophone....

---------

Joe "Someday I may laugh about that game - dunno, only been 22 years!" Baker

Follow Ups: