a question for 5 valve Eb players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on June 30, 2001 at 21:47:46:

For all of you guys who play 5 valve "eefers",

I currently own a 70's vintage B&H 4 valve compensating eefer, with the bigger 19" bell, and bigger leadpipe that were added on later. Therefore, it's something close to the current 981, I suppose. Anyway, I find it hard enough to deal with fast low range fingerings on that horn. Is it a nightmare to try to steer your way through, let's say, the middle movement of Mahler 5 on a 5-valve Eb? Granted, I'm probably never going to get asked to come play Mahler 5, but I still like to play through excerpts. And what about concert band music?

I'm asking all of this because I'm still considering upgrading to a high quality 5 valve Eb (and selling off the old Boosey). Why do I want to stick to Eb? Because I can only justify one horn at this point of my life (financially, mainly), and I've always have had a much better low range than high range. However, is there a point where a large Eb no longer makes any sense, and one may as well go with a small 4 or 5 valve CC? Should I just work to develop a really strong high register on a CC, and forget the Eb business? If I were to do that, then I could probably still, someday, afford a decent euphonium to just dink around on for soloing, and for my own amusement.

Any and all comments welcome, including the "stop whining, just practice" ones. My main complaint about my current B&H?: Ergonomics (I have to use a stand); and the long, sluggish, noisy valves. The tone, however, is to die for. Also, Willson vs. Melton vs. Gronitz, etc. - any thoughts?

Barry Guerrero
San Francisco

Follow Ups: