Re: Marzan tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Karl Parks on July 01, 2001 at 19:25:23:

In Reply to: Marzan tuba posted by Nick on June 29, 2001 at 22:16:25:

Nick:

Do a search in the the archives. I believe you will find that the concensus is that the are fine horns. From what I could determine they were made for appr 10-15 years centering around the early 70s. They were "custom" or "signature" horns made by several companies designed by Fred Marzan, instructor at the Cincinnati Consveratory. The rotary versions were likely made by Willson and the pistons by Bohm & Meinl (bought by Walter Nirschl) especially if it is the 19" bell and .748 bore.

I played a brand new BBb Marzan 4 valved rotary in college (1970-73) and loved it. Unfortunately it was the schools horn. Recently I have been borrowing a rather beatup 4 valved piston BBb from a local school. It too does not play too badly, but it could use some work.

If you have one or can get one, I am envious.

They were somewhat unique in their design in that the main tuning slide was easily accessible for in-playing tuning with the left hand, although some swear that the horn was so intune, it was not needed, We found tha the d (5th partial) was flat. The rotary was also unique in that it had string linkage.

Karl Parks
Orlando, Fl

Follow Ups: