Re: Re: Re: German and American "sound"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on July 01, 2002 at 00:06:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: German and American "sound" posted by js on June 30, 2002 at 23:10:31:

That in practice is oh so true. I don't get to listen to much stuff, but no matter what horn C. Daellenbach is using at the time, he sounds the same. I sound mediocre to a little better than mediocre most of the time, and it is always with a "german" sound, as far as previous descriptions would lend it.

Of course, some guys can and do sound different on different horns and or mouthpeices. My recordings of Arnold Jacobs show that he changed his concept of sound plenty of times (without any loss of quality) depending on what was needed to make the piece sound its best.

Most of the time, though, I can't, nor can anyone else, distinguish the tubas being used simply from a blind listening.

Maybe this 'English' flare is why i detest Yamaha's sound so much? It was the one brand of horn (YBB 201, 321, and 641) that my sound DID drastically change on, and it was not a good change.

I've heard 2 people EVER sound good on a 641, even they hated the horns (of course, once again, i speak from minimal experience). One ended up dropping music, and the other bought a Getzen. So it just goes to show, um, something.

My BD has a little Mirafone 184 (maybe? not sure of number-its TINY though) CC but he get a HUGE sound from it that carries through the whole orchestra. It does have the focus generally known as "german" sound though.

Maybe since what ive grown up with is the 'german' sound, its what i know, and thus it's my sound concept and thats why i could play the chicago York and still sound like a german "oompah" guy.

Sorry for the long, meaningless rant, you know how it gets at 1 in the morning ;-)

Doug "yawn" G

Follow Ups: