Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: German and American "sound"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 02, 2002 at 12:56:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: German and American "sound" posted by I got an itch on July 02, 2002 at 11:54:14:

Okay, this is a joke, right?

When I read the label on the bell, it says "York Master." That's how I describe it. I don't think anyone is confused. If it said "Marzan", that's what I'd call it. I'd call it a "Boehm and Meinl" if that's what the label said.

It is what it is, and doesn't need to be justified by anybody, especially me. It has had a wonderful history, in the hands of Oscar LaGasse and Chris Hall. Jay Bertolet thought it met my requirements perfectly, based on what I said I wanted, and based on his own experience with this horn and one just like it. Chuck thought it wonderful, but not quite up to his Minick/Keefer, and in many ways I agree with him. None of them said it was perfect, and I've worked at managing or overcoming some of the problems they pointed out. All previous owners have loved its sound.

I've always taken the advice of pros I admire who understand my requirements in selecting instruments, and I've never been disappointed.

The difference between the YM and the Miraphone is not subtle, even when (or perhaps especially when) I'm doing the buzzing.

Rick "who thinks you shouldn't judge a horn by the player" Denney

Follow Ups: