ITEC / CONN 56J

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric on June 02, 2002 at 13:58:09:

I would first like to say that I really enjoyed going to ITEC, it was really a great experience and I got a lot out of it, I'd like to thank Mr.AsKew for all of his hard work.
Most of my time spent there was in the Dillon/Custom/Stofer room trying out horns, but I also went to a lot of other exhibits/lectures, etc...(I really enjoyed the Boston Brass) I was glad to be able to try out a very big selection of horns, I learned alot about the kind of sound and feel that I like to get when I play a horn! After the first day of playing horns I had about 8 horns that i could not decide on which one was my favorite!
This was very frustraing for me, I play on a C tuba but i tried out some Bb tubas for a band director friend of mine and a couple of students I give lessons to. After playing on the new King 2341 it made me want to switch back to Bb, there is just something about the sound and response and feed back that I get that I really, really like! I also liked the Mira 1291 Bb, I thought it was a good playing horn. After playing on all the C and Bb tubas I finally decided on the Conn 56j, this is definately the horn for me!!!
I really like EVERYTHING about this horn!!!
I am wondering if it is ok to just order one or if I should go somewhere like Dillon or someplace similar and play test a group of them and choose the best one of the bunch?
Since I probably won't be able to go somewhere and play test them, I would like to know what kind of trial period most companys have, or any other things I could do to get one!
OR do you guys think that there is not that much of a difference in new Conns to worry about it?!? Also I would like to know what those of you who own a 56j use for a Gig Bag or what any of you think is the best bag for this horn!

I would also like to thank Matt for his lecture on choosing tubas, it helped me to thin out my choices and pick the right horn for me!!!

Sorry for all the rambling, I appreciate your time and patience!

Thanx again,
Eric

Follow Ups: