Re: Re: Re: Bargain

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on June 03, 2002 at 08:07:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Bargain posted by Sympathy vote on June 02, 2002 at 23:03:57:

As a former owner of both a Holton 6/4 BBb and CC, some of them are certainly problematic. If Holton's manufacturing of these instruments was consistant (though obviously they were, for the most part, handmade) I would have to conjecture that most of the Holtons are ("prob"ably?) problematic.

The 3rd partial (open F or G) at least on all the Holtons that I've played is not useable and must be played "1&3" ("4" even seems to be inadequate). The "stuffiness" complaint has oft been echoed, and the 5th partial pitches (around open D or E) seem ethereal. Usually, the 6th partial (upper F or G) seems to have at least one pitch which is badly "out-of-joint". If anyone owns a Holton with out these characteristics, one should hold on to it tightly.

I enjoy the sound the Holton instruments offered, but after a few years decided the unfriendly trade-offs were too distracting. As the "first" CSO York copy, and a model played by many of Mr. Jacob's legendary students, these instruments hold a lot of mystique. I really don't think there are any 6/4 tubas without problems. Though many smaller tubas have some crazy problems, when tubas are stretched out that big ("6/4") a lot of things go haywire. I've only played "the" CSO York once for a few minutes. Though not stuffy and with fewer problems than most 6/4 tubas, one must pay attention when playing it and without some slide pulling, it will not quite do what is required.

The sound of 6/4 tubas is exciting, and that (along with their physical size) will continue to define these instruments as head-turners.

Follow Ups: