Re: Hand bruising due to playing euphonium?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rod McDonald on June 05, 2002 at 02:58:49:

In Reply to: Hand bruising due to playing euphonium? posted by Heather on June 03, 2002 at 20:02:51:

Noticed your post earlier in the day. Have since done around three hours practice and have been interested to see how my hand lies. My fingers are arched slightly over the valves so that only the tips are in contact with the valve cap. My right thumb is more of a guide only and not clutched tight in any way. There is always space around the thumb and hand bridge. Left hand holds instrument firmly , but not tightly while index finger is positioned over the fourth valve at all times. I am confident that a 'Stewart Euphonium Stand' would remove all need for supporting the instrument , thereby leaving my hands to 'Play" the instrument, not support it in any way. Whilst I have 'Ordered' one, I have had no response from the supplier and, as I mentioned , a few months ago, Australia is a long way away from the States. So, Check your stance, position of the instrument and attempt to use your right fingers to depress the valves only. Not support the instrument. I suspect the afore mentioned 'Stewart Euphonium Stand' would assist immensly if you can find one. Best wishes. Rod.

Follow Ups: