Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Engineered Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on June 05, 2002 at 04:33:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Engineered Tuba posted by Doug on June 04, 2002 at 23:11:33:

When I had a Yamaha 321 Euph, the valves were in an arc more or less. Not sure it was much of an arc, but the valve tops were not lined up straigtt

Now I have a 642 and they're straight (although because it's a 3 + 1 arrangement there may not be as much need to curve the line of the valve tops. Somehow the hand grip on the 642 also seems to be in the wrong place with not quite enough space for my thumb.

I think the right hand position on the 321 was superior, although I like the 642 better as an instrument. I do find that the 4th valve seems well placed for the left hand. Also, the euph is light enough that holding it isn't much of a problem.

The big horns however are another story - the work involved in supporting a large-ish tuba can get to be a bit much. And a well balanced carrying handle would be a real "nice to have" as I "sneak" into rehearsal a bit late and have to carry the horn over my head with one hand as I weave through the crowd to get to the back of the room.

Follow Ups: