Re: David Zerkel (solos for contrabass tuba)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ITEC fanatic on June 05, 2002 at 09:26:20:

In Reply to: David Zerkel (solos for contrabass tuba) posted by John Szkutko on June 05, 2002 at 08:28:34:

I was at the presentation, it was excellent. The main point of the lecture was that we as tuba players should not overlook the importance of the contrabass tuba as a solo instrument, and to our overall development as tuba players.
Solos were classified into three levels, by difficulty; they were also categorized by medium, (i.e. accompanied, unaccompanied, taped accompaniment, etc.) Dave played one solo from each level of unaccompanied solos, and then two accompanied solos from differing levels. (I think the plan was to do one solo from each level of accompanied solo as well, but time ran short). It was a terrific performance, and certainly proved the point very well that anything can be played well on contrabass tuba!
Since the main idea was that all solos could conceivably be played on the big horn, most of the tuba repertoire was listed somewhere in the information. The specific pieces Dave chose to play as examples were the Hartley Suite, the Persichetti Serenade No. 12, the Gregson Alarum, the McFarland Sketches, and the Call of the River.
There were a few handouts, one of which covered a survey of some tuba teachers and the solos they choose to use for contrabass tuba. It was very interesting to see some of these results! You might be able to find someone who has the handouts that could scan them and get you copies of them.
Hope this helps.

Follow Ups: