Re: Re: Re: Good 3/4 F Tuba for Solos?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 05, 2002 at 10:12:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Good 3/4 F Tuba for Solos? posted by js on June 04, 2002 at 22:03:49:

I think that Joe has optimized his playing around his classic B&S Symphonie, such that all other tubas feel strange to him. F tubas that feel like contrabasses in their response might be praised by those who play contrabasses primarily, but not so highly regarded by those (like Joe) who play F tubas as the norm.

The Alex has a sound that many think is THE sound for an F tuba. If you are like Joe and good enough to work around its wierdnesses, then I agree with what he says. But if you are closer to me than you are to him in skill, you might find the Alex a true battle.

To counter my own comments, I should add this: I spent some time with an Alex F a few months ago, and found the low range quite difficult to manage, but (conversely to what I'm saying above), a listener remarked that it sounded great out front. So, the problems with the low register of many rotary F tubas may be a matter of feel more than product.

But I primarily play a contrabass, and want an F tuba that doesn't require a complete paradigm shift when I pick it up. I don't have that much skill.

I own a Yamaha 621 F tuba. It is about as effective as any tuba made in making it possible for an amateur like me to get a consistent, decent sound, in tune, over a wide range of pitch and dynamics. The good examples of the Yamaha remain the most playable F tubas I've ever had to my lips. The Willson F is just about the same, except that it is huge. The Miraphone 181 would be my choice for a highly playable F tuba with that German sound, which is a real improvement--I've really not at all liked previous Miraphone F's. It is, to me, more playable than the larger Meinl-Weston, and therefore a bit less like steering a contrabass for solo literature. If I was in the market for an F, it would get my serious attention. I liked the small Meinl-Weston, but, like the Alex, you have to know how to coax the low range out of it.

Rick "who needs all the help he can get" Denney

Follow Ups: