Re: Doug Elliot Mouthpiece Descriptions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on June 07, 2002 at 21:23:54:

In Reply to: Doug Elliot Mouthpiece Descriptions posted by Tom B. on June 07, 2002 at 17:51:36:

Tom,

I just purchased a Doug Elliott mpc. at ITEC. It's a screw rim, a cup, and a shank. The sizes vary greatly and the only ways to really know which one(s) will work for you are to either sit with Doug and let him see what you do (what I did), or to buy one of everything and mix-n-match 'til you get what you like. The former is much more cost-effective, plus you get the bonus of Doug's knowledge of embouchures and techniques. I couldn't be happier with my new rig.

The rim is nicely rounded, but not too much (I think there are differences here, too). It's much more comfortable than a Helleberg, and I would say comparable to a PT. The cups are in a variety of depths and configurations. The shanks also vary widely, depending on what you need.

The real cost-benefit for me was finding somebody that understands embouchures, and can make a recommendation based on what I'm doing, not necessarily what I need to be doing. In other words, Doug looked at how I play, my facial structure, and my embouchure and made a recomendation. It works very well for me. However, since the mpc. I have is an extreme, it probably wouldn't work for very many other people. But Doug can help you find what is right for you.

FWIW, I now play on a 2N-XL rim (34.5 mm), an XL R cup, and an R4 shank. I was asked if it came with a complementary bottle of Mr. Bubble. This is a huge mouthpiece, but it works with my facial structure. The bass trombone in my community band told me that if it didn't work out, he'd like it for a bird bath in his backyard.

After meeting Doug at ITEC, it is plain to me that finding the right mouthpiece is like finding the right pair of shoes. Or, more accurately, finding a good tailor. You can buy something perfectly adequate "off the rack," but to get that perfect fit, you need a tailor. And once you wear a tailored suit, nothing off of the rack will ever fit just right. I loved the sound of my 56j before; now it's more than I could have hoped. BIG difference. I don't see switching back anytime soon.

SD

Follow Ups: