Re: Re: Cerveny C Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by turd on June 09, 2002 at 00:22:12:

In Reply to: Re: Cerveny C Tuba posted by David on June 08, 2002 at 21:21:37:

Paul K. was playing one when Philly toured the U.S. back in the early-mid 1970's. I think that was when they first came out. As a kid who hosted one of the members (tuba player, of course) of the Australian Youth Orchestra around the same time, I recall that he also had one - again, a fairly new model then and "all the rage". I find the pitch on many of these to be troublesome, as the second space c is sometimes more than 25 cents sharper than the second-line low C. This model is indeed a very free-blowing tuba, and it is easy to fall in love with this feature while tolerating others (as we must weigh the +'s and -'s of all tubas). I recall building an elaborate center-tuning device for a friend's piggy, and adding a fifth rotor. This was the first time that I discovered that the "super large bore" Czech tubas were simply using the regular size .795" bore rotors with .835" (whatever) tubing knuckles brazed to the casing exteriors. Jay B. has discussed this several times on this bbs.

Perhaps the innovation of the "Piggy" model was indeed its shape: The tall rise of the upper bow combined with a shorter bell - features found to some degree on many of the most popular piston models today.

- Joe "the despis-ed turd" S.

Follow Ups: