Re: flying

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan Schultz on June 10, 2002 at 11:35:02:

In Reply to: flying posted by Steve on June 10, 2002 at 10:32:37:

I just returned, along with my tuba, from three weeks in Germany. Even though my old King Symphony and case are oversize, there was never a question. This is a very large horn. Check with your carrier but the restrictions are 70 pounds and 63 inches (total of width, height, and length). Funny thing.... they were a lot more concerned about the six mouthpieces in my carry-on bag.... to the point that they completely overlooked a Swiss Army Knive and a Leatherman tool that I forgot to put in my checked luggage. When I arrived in Frankfort, I was amazed to find them in my carry-on.
Policies are fixed but no one seems to know exactly what they are. You are allowed two checked bags and one carry-on plus one carry-on small shoulder bag. The fact that my wife and I only checked two bags plus the tuba (we were allowed four checked bags) might have allowed the counter people to 'look the other way'.
Your tuba outta fly but be prepared in case you get a jerk counter person to pay an extra charge. Either way, I am always more comfortable having my horn on the same plane with me. It never ceases to amaze me at the stuff folks check in with.... there was one group of orientals with multiple peices of PVC pipe in lengths of 10'. That's gotta be beyond the length limit! Then you got the guys with the HUGE golf bags!
Go for it.... all they can do is charge you extra. Just be nice and smile.

Follow Ups: