Re: Ever feel like you can't make it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on June 12, 2002 at 17:01:29:

In Reply to: Ever feel like you can't make it? posted by JB on June 12, 2002 at 15:50:21:

Its disappointing when friends run their mouths, but (sorry) this will happen more and more - rather than less - as you get older.

You mentioned the college teaching goal and the orchestral playing goal. One is far more likely an achievement than the other. Too many factors are involved in auditioning for an orchestra job to be able to reasonably think that "As long as I'm good enough, I'll eventually get hired to play in an orchestra."

On the other hand, if you get to where you can play in tune with a good sound, can play college-level recital/brass quintet music, stick it out through a DMA program (Go right from the bachelors to the DMA, if this is your certain goal.), and "be nice", you'll get a college teaching job.

There are many college level teachers who far exceed these requirements (many also play as well - or almost as well - as those who've won orchestra jobs, and are very fine teachers as well), but administrators who hire college teachers mostly look at an adequate level of performance, good references (important to get past the search committee), and (most essential) a terminal degree from a reasonably respectable school.

I'm sorry that you had to suffer undue comments from someone who mentored you!

Follow Ups: