Re: Re: Lippin'n' Slidin'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom Mason on June 12, 2002 at 17:44:20:

In Reply to: Re: Lippin'n' Slidin' posted by Jay Bertolet on June 12, 2002 at 12:34:40:

This commentary reminds me of a pick-up brass quintet I perform in on Christmas cantatas. The 1st trumpet player plays on a C trumpet, and the 2nd plays on a Bb horn. As we try to tune with the pipe organ in the church, I ended up playing 23 combinations for Bb on my BBb horn along with the 2nd trumpet player as the 1st player has to play his concert Bb with 1st valve. Weird things happen when the humidity affects the pipe organ 15 minutes into the gig.

As I am not in the same league with some of the good commenters here, I will say that certain situations call for slide pulling or lipping, depending upon your ability or confort with lipping. Some professionals use a set embouchure and try not to change based on tuning. These people will most likely pull or push slides to make the needed adjustments. I tend to pull 1st valve slides for 5th partial notes. As I can't reach the other slides as easily on my horn, I tend to lip any other note combinations.

I teach my high school players to pull or push 1st valve as well. On their jupiters, they can also pull/push 3rd and 4th as needed. IMHO, this tends to help set a certain embouchure set.

Tom Mason

Follow Ups: