Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Learn Me! What's the difference...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 14, 2002 at 16:11:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Learn Me! What's the difference... posted by Klaus on June 14, 2002 at 15:49:06:

I definitely know all those patterns, and used them in my own transition. Even so, I think the best way to make the transition is to learn the instrument as a new instrument, following the same process by which one learned the primary instrument (that is, starting with scales). Of course, it will go much more quickly. The more time I spent trying to relate patterns between Bb and F, the longer it took.

Of course, some people can see patterns, keys, and clefs in the abstract without much conscious effort, just as others can balance their checkbook and get it right the first time. My checkbook has been balanced to the penny with little effort from me for 20 years, but transposition remains an inaccessible black art. I know French hornists who can transpose well, but they have no idea what they have in the bank, heh, heh.

Rick "who thinks skills come to different people along different paths and at different speeds" Denney

Follow Ups: