Re: Cerveny CBB 6864MR or Amati

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on June 16, 2002 at 01:23:48:

In Reply to: Cerveny CBB 6864MR or Amati posted by InkyDaveB on June 15, 2002 at 20:19:57:

Can't tell you much about the Cerveny vs. Amati family tree, although I believe they're related. Maybe the Amati line is entry level, and the Cerveny horns are premiere? Not sure. Anyway...

I played a large rotary BBb Amati back a few months ago. The sound was very good, with a lot of "fire" to it. Projection was quite good too. Having said that, the horn was horribly out of tune with itself, and the eveness of response was even worse. A couple notes made the horn feel like a watermelon was in the bell, and some had centers on them so wide you could easily lip the notes a half-step up or down - and I mean *easily*. The "hero" notes on the horn were great by themselves - but in context with the rest of the range, it was like an 800 pound gorilla surrounded by organ grinder monkeys.

I didn't really spend a lot of time examining the workmanship on the horn. At a casual glance, it appeared to be OK. Playing-wise, however, they've "got some room to grow".

As always, just my personal opinion, and your mileage may vary...

...Dave

Follow Ups: