Re: Discriminated BBb and Eb ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on June 17, 2002 at 09:41:26:

In Reply to: Discriminated BBb and Eb ??? posted by Volker on June 15, 2002 at 09:37:14:

In the past, I've never liked the idea of playing an Eb. I've never played one I liked until recently. I've tried many over the years, but they all seemed to have their problems. Now, there are fine instruments out there. It may depend on what kind of playing you're going to do as to which key of tuba you buy. I like playing CC tuba for many reasons, as well as F tuba. A lot of work I do now is polka music, for which I use a Conn 20J (a BBb!). I think if I was in a symphony going to play Berlioz, I would do it on my F. If I was going to play Prokofiev or Shostakovich, etc., I would like a massive BBb, like a Rudy 5/4 or 6/4. General orchestral works on a big CC. I wouldn't play the Conn in the orchestra (only 3 valves), even though I love the sound. If I had to own just one instrument, It would be a choice between a Rudy 3/4 CC and a quality Eb, like a Willson. I know the Rudy can do it all (I've done it), just as a good Eb can. I don't think their is as much prejudice as might be perceived. Your assessment about the star-track is true and there are some prejudices out there. The tuba business fosters that prejdice through a fashion market, however, I think that if you talk to most players, they do not necessarily subscribe to that. They don't have biases, they just have personal preferences. There's a big difference. Sure, people are influenced, but tuba players are well equipped to think for themselves, despite the stereotype. My criteria have always been - is this tuba best suited/sized do the job at hand; how's the sound (most important); is it free-blowing; if needed, can I tune it with slides/alternate fingerings; ergonomics - can I be relaxed while playing? If I can answer those questions, key may only then be a matter of what I'm comfortable with or willing to learn. Personal preference.
Doc (who'd consider an Eb if he were in the market)

Follow Ups: