Jupiter Hybrid Sousaphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on June 19, 2002 at 07:03:05:

I don't think that this subject has come up too often. So I will touch upon it from a recent experience. I would advise any players/directors who are possibly interested in purchasing one of these to seek other alternatives. Jupiter has managed to combine the worst traits of both the fiberglass and the brass sousaphone together. It has that very dead, unresponsive feel that many plastic horns have. However it has a very bright splatty sound with a lot of bell ring that I blame on the bell. The bell itself is incredibly heavy which doesn't make sense, because the fiberglass horns are supposed to be lightweight. The wrap is also very tight and uncomfortable. On the other hand, the horn looks very sharp in the silverplate valve section and bell. If anyone is seeking out these horns, I highly recommend playing one of these against a standard brass sousaphone and even a good standard fiberglass one. They look sharp and mechanically seem very sound (except for the one clamp that looks a LOT like a radiator hose clamp) but I think the playing abilities of the horn are not so good. The high range was very difficult to slot. Just my own personal product review.

Matt G

Follow Ups: