Re: Teaching woes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on June 19, 2002 at 07:10:53:

In Reply to: Teaching woes posted by Annoyed on June 18, 2002 at 22:13:11:

If it had been one lesson out of four, that had been badly prepared, one could have suspected some gender-related problems.

In the present case you should investigate a bit deeper.

The reason for the problems might be a banality like a family member working night-shifts every other week, so that necessary sleeping disallows normal practising by the girl.

If that is not the case, I would suspect a fluctuating depressive condition. Maybe related to a somatic condition, that takes out the energy of the girl. Allergies and lung disorders could be culprits.

If the girl was ill-willed and lacked in motivation, she would never be "on". Her unstable performing level will, be a hindrance for a career as a pro, but not exclude, that she can be a happy amateur contributing to a community ensemble. So I would not "fire" her. Rather I would try to find out, whether she gets the optimal help to handle her situation.

Klaus

PS: I can see your anonymity as a matter of discretion towards the girl. But in general serious matters of musicianship and pedagogy are much better discussed among persons, who stand by their own identity.

Follow Ups: