Re: Re: Tuba Steals at Brooks Mays

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sorry Charlie on June 20, 2002 at 21:46:37:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba Steals at Brooks Mays posted by Ur Right, DP Isn't on June 20, 2002 at 18:59:05:

point by point I'll address your blather

1) The Miraphone prices on that page as well as the Schmidt prices are all very good and very special. the schmidt tubas are nothing special at all, and the posted Mirtafone prices are no lower than Brasswind, Low Brass Werks, or other, reputable dealers

2) DP’s assesment of anyone's policies would not hold strength in any knowledge of what really goes on. He personally does not know any policies of any store nor has worked there and has no right to say such things about any store. fair enough Charlie, if I had never traded with any stores, or never bought a tuba, or had just fallen off of a turnip truck.

3.)The BBb CC question he posted was ignorant and it clearly states in several places on that page that a 4098 is a 6/4 CC Culbertson. The tuba has been talked about here several times that page describe the fifth valve as a wonderful addition making it a "professional BBflat tuba" ... frankly, it was a waggish remark but you wouldn't recognize that would you Charlie? Either way, how is it such a great horn IS so cheap?

4.) As to saving tax by shipping, I am sure DP does the same and just does not like to admit it. I am sure if his friends were offered the lesser price if shipped out of state, they would take advantage of it as well. Most people do save this way and until the Federal change the mail order policy, everyone and I repeat everyone benefits and is not a criminal from trying to save the tax. Theres a lot here to rebut, first: NO I have NEVER purchased a new tuba from a dealer out-of-state. When I bought a new Mirafone near 20 years ago, I had to pay sales tax on it, and were I to get a new horn stateside, I'd do it again. Period. Don't you dare call me a tax evader Krause! Second, if my friends chose to do so, I still would not condone it. The TRUTH Charlie is that MY friends in New Jersey, Maryland, and California who ARE reputable dealers have ALL had people play-test instruments in their studios, and then turn around and buy from either you or someone in the BM establishment. It may in fact be that "most people" who buy horns at BM do so in this fashion, but they still have sales tax liability to their own states, whether or not they choose to pay that is apparently up to them, but for that retailer to encourage tax evasion is not cool, plain and simple.

5.) Also most people play the tuba or euph at the store and save tax by shipping it out of state to their home. A lot of pro players do this and ask for it. This is not a new thing DP. you are right Charlie, tax evasion and collusion are NOT new, Federal and State laws against such merchant and consumer practices have been around for almost as long as weasels who try to get out of them. Your vehement defense of this store's crappy practices even underlines the likelihood that you know it's shady !

6.) IF they choose to walk out the door with the tuba at the store and take it home with them, they will pay tax at Brook Mays just like anywhere else. Who does not want to save as much as 5% to 9 % on an instrument that costs from $2500 to $16000. and I guess if they were in your store and pocketed a couple of mouthpieces, you'd not have a problem with that either?

7.) In closing to be picked over you would have to had gone there and played it and had it shipped to make it picked over and according to DP they try it elsewhere and order at B Mays which means that the best may still be last because they were never tried out. apart from the goof-ball logic, "picked over" simply means leftovers, ANYone who's worked retail knows that seconds and clams and bowsers are sold after the cream, at least when people DO actually come into the shops to try there goods.
8.) DP does not know what he is talking about at all and his bias shows in his posts. well yes Charlie I AM biased, and (surprise) I managed to show just that in my post, that WAS after all the point!

Now why do I think this tax evasion is such a "big" issue? I don't necessarily, though I really doubt the 400-1200 bucks people "save" are re-invested in the arts, or education, or anything altruistic or philanthropic or any of the other myriad social/funding topics we squabble about here from time-to-time. Why is it we make such a huge stink about failing arts due to low-funding, music program cutbacks in schools, yet jam up our tax man every chance we get?
The big issue in my mind and purpose for my post wasn't because I am some tax'em all-to-death liberal, it was because my friends as retailers on both sides of the country took their time and money to demonstrate instruments and help prospective purchasers to play-test horns, only to have some sales-person at BM suggest they can save a few hundred buying them by mail/over the phone. Interestingly, these guys are still in business selling tubas, and (last I heard) Charlie, you are not.

Follow Ups: