Re: Re: Re: I need help teaching beginners

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John on June 21, 2002 at 23:04:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: I need help teaching beginners posted by Lonny on June 21, 2002 at 22:09:06:

I'd have to agree with you on the aspect of high schoolers teaching. My opinoin on the matter, (myself being a high schooler and currently teaching various middle school age students on euphonium, tuba, and trombone) is that anybody, of any age and having any amount of experience can teach as long as they are able to inspire growth and improvement in their students. The most important factor in a teacher-student situation is how well the instructor's teaching style works for the student. For one particular student, a high school aged teacher may very well be able to do so better than a symphony player. I do know that my age serves as an advantage in the age group of the students that I teach; I find that some students who may feel intimidated by a teacher many years older than him or herself able to open up to someone of my age.

Not trying to start any fights, just sticking up for my teen instructor brethren.

- John "Teachers learn as much, if not more, from their students as the other way around" Edens

P.S.
A friend of mine who plays excellent clarinet switched over to tuba for his senior year in highschool. Why? Because he enjoys playing tuba and his school's band needed someone to play it. He has turned in to an extraordinary tuba player, by the way.

Follow Ups: