Re: Extreme high range on tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on June 24, 2002 at 11:24:01:

In Reply to: Extreme high range on tuba posted by Eric on June 24, 2002 at 10:35:06:

It depends upon who you have in mind to play it. In my experience most high school/amateur tubists begin to wimp out by the time they reach the top of the staff or shortly thereafter. Your typical midsized college mused tubist might be comfortable up to about F above the staff. The good/serious college tubists and all pros should readily knock out what you've written plus some.

Your best bet is to discuss the part with the person you want to perform it. I've done *way* too many comp recitals in my life and the vast majority would have been notably better if the composer had taken the time to learn a little bit more about what actually sounds idiomatic for that instrument. The worst insult was the comp student that had no idea what he wanted his piece to sound like it was just an assignment for a grade. The second worst insult was the string player that wrote a minimalistic piece with the same nowhere to breath ostenato rhythm that lasted eight minutes. If you really care about your music being presented well please don't be one of those people. Ask your guy to play it. Even when played supremely well you may realize that the change in character up that high may be unsatisfactory.

Regardless, unless you write a true masterpiece, don't expect it to get much play outside of a comp recital with that kind of range.

good luck!
joseph

Follow Ups: