Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Blue Shades topic below

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on June 24, 2002 at 12:03:33:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Was Blue Shades topic below posted by Copyright police on June 24, 2002 at 11:34:29:

When I want a student to order something, I let them "preview" mine for for a little bit, and leave them with a photocopy of the first page of the piece. A habit I picked up from one of my teachers. This way the student has a sort of 'reference' as to what piece is which when he's ordering. I LOVED that my teacher did this for me when I was in high school, as I could only afford to buy about 2 pieces of music every month. I had a catalogue with the front pages of about 40 pieces of music, which I prioritized according to which ones I would order first-- eventually I had ordered all of the pieces(and then some), and it gave me a nice start to a catalogue that I let my students look through for pieces, or that I can look through for programming a recital.

I don't personally think that this is unethical, as it's not providing anyone with a performable work for free. It's promoting the purchase and performance of music by offering a limited preview, free of charge(free preview for the students, free advertising for the publishers).

Anthony

Follow Ups: