Re: Re: Whats your cup size?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on June 25, 2002 at 00:36:57:

In Reply to: Re: Whats your cup size? posted by js on June 24, 2002 at 23:16:39:

I agree with Joe on the cup diameter effect.

However we differ about the cup dept. First of all I find that a dark sound more is a matter of fullness than of cutting off higher frequencies. A strong and well balanced content of high partials due to psycho-acoustic factors actually strengthens the aural perception of the "root" note (the one the player him/herself perceives to play).

In my wording the increasing cup diameter increases potential of sound. Increased cup depth increases the fullness of the sound. The increases of throat diameter and of backbore volume are important for the playing feel of the player. And as a quite personal remark, I will say, that I need the freedom, that a very open backbore gives me in respect of intonation and of dynamic bandwith.

Large dimensions are not for all type of players. The large dimensions are physically demanding, when it comes to stamina. They do not further virtuosity as they demand a very exact execution of tongued articulations. They even sometimes call for trombone-type executions of slow legato passages to avoid such passages loosing any structure. And anything soft demands extreme attention. A gain is, that the sound almost never breaks up in louder dynamics (considering one plays good instruments; my equipment has been mentioned so often, that it needs no repetition, but it is not of the German soloist type).

I am not a proponent of large mouthpieces by ideology, but by need. Actually I admire the muscular players, that can fill large instruments (and make small instruments sound large) through what I consider modest mouthpieces like the Conn Helleberg. As hinted in other postings different schools are factoring in here.

Klaus

Follow Ups: