Re: Re: Re: Re: Extreme high range on tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 25, 2002 at 14:12:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Extreme high range on tuba posted by Doug on June 24, 2002 at 19:40:30:

Cliff Bevan states that the tuba loses its characteristic sound in the extreme high register and sounds like a euphonium. I don't think it's quite that simple. A tuba will always have a different mix of overtones, I think mostly stemming from the different mouthpiece, but also from the different in the size of the instrument. A BAT sounds different from a 3/4, right? Whether it is better or not for any given situation is another matter.

I once heard a string bassist play a solo that was originally written for cello. The bassist was widely regarded as a world-class performer, and he played the work beautifully. But the sound of the bass was clearly different from the cello, and I think it suffered because of it.

Would some of the really high stuff that Sheridan plays on tuba sound better on a euphonium? In my opinion, yes. But he doesn't just play high stuff. He spends a little time up high and then contrasts that with stuff in the low register of the instrument. Those low notes are characteristic tuba notes, and give the high stuff context. No euphonium could approach the sound of the tuba down low.

The distinction between, say, the Alexander tenor tuba and a modern euphonium is not great, but the former sounds more like a tuba. I think there are two reasons: 1. the players are tuba players with a tuba sound concept, and 2. their mouthpieces are bigger. Don't expect me to get the same results.

Rick "more like an asthmatic chicken much above the staff" Denney

Follow Ups: