Re: NeRTEC 2003 - call for artists

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by N. O. Nightcrawlers on June 26, 2002 at 15:18:54:

In Reply to: NeRTEC 2003 - call for artists posted by John Manning on June 25, 2002 at 06:17:27:

I noticed that you are looking to have a "New Orleans" brass band.
At the last ITEC in Greensboro, I thought it was missing some real funky authentic
New Orleans traditional jazz brass band type of group. I thought that the Dixie Power Trio was really close to that sort of feel, and they were very fun to listen to, but too clean to be authentic.
I have live in N.O. all my life- went to school there at the U. of New Orleans, and I was constantly exposed to lots of New Orleans style jazz. I lived with a jazz studies trumpet major (www.markrapp.com), and even subbed in a few brass band gigs.

If you are looking for a New Orleans Brass Band to entertain a bunch of tuba players, go with the New Orleans Nightcrawlers (www.neworleansnightcrawlers.com). I have heard the tuba player in the group, Matt Perrine, quite a few times. He knows how to lay down the groove better that most in town.
My next choice, would be of course, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band with Kirk Joseph on tuba.From there, you can go with the Soul Rebels, or ReBirth Brass Band
contact these groups and try to get one up there... you may have to pay their way... 'cause day ain't no money in N'Awlins.

Follow Ups: