Re: First Valve Sticking

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on June 28, 2002 at 06:47:22:

In Reply to: First Valve Sticking posted by Brenda on June 27, 2002 at 22:19:26:

This instrument has steel valves, according to their web site. i believe they are stainless steel. If the instrument is rather new, here is my recommendation. Give it a bath. Completely disassemble the horn and put it in a tub of luke warm water with Dawn dish detergent. Let it soak a little while then use baby bottle brushes to scrub out the valve casings. When the valves are lapped in they use a compund that contains an abrasive, usually pumice. This becomes impregnated in the valve casings and comes out as oils are applied. (My Yamaha 621s required 3 baths before the valves were free enough to play the horn.) When re-assmebling the horn use Hetman Light Piston oil on the valves. This should cure your problem. While you have it apart check the first valve to see if there are any wear marks to see if, as Klaus stated, your hand position may be affect the valves performance. I'd also snake out the rest of the horn while I was at it.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Roger

Follow Ups: