Re: Advice on purchasing a C tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by likes all three on June 28, 2002 at 19:06:20:

In Reply to: Advice on purchasing a C tuba posted by Doug on June 28, 2002 at 15:55:21:

Conn 56j=I love these tubas up close they have to be one of the best sounding/playing tubas to the players ears. overall very good American sound. BUT the sound does not go anywere, they do not sound the same out in the audience in large band and orchestra situations. The sound does not project to well in larger groups
it gets eaten up easily. Do not flame me for this, so if you have intentions of playing in Orchestra or Band these tubas are not the best choice. But they do have a very nice sound.

Miraphone 188=I also realy like these tubas very good German sound great for all around playing better for Orchestra and Band than 56j in my opinion. Great rotary valves(smooth,aquite&fast these are the best rotary valves in my opinion.

Pt-4=I have not played one of these but i have heard them and good Grman sound like the miraphone but darker sounding.Probably not as easy to play as the 56j or the 188 but better sounding in larger groups.

I belive that if you can get a good deal on a pt-4 that would be the way to go.

But then again this is just my peronal opinion so if you have the chance to play each of these you will be able to form your own opinion and see what kind of sound you are looking for out of a tuba.

Follow Ups: