Re: Re: Re: Circular Breathing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ian Mac on June 29, 2002 at 07:12:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Circular Breathing posted by Curious on June 29, 2002 at 01:01:14:

Your point is well taken, but in the instance of orchestral works in which the composer wrote bar after bar of tied whole notes, do you think that they would want tubist to have the ability to play the note uninterupted, or did they expect the breaths to be placed in the music? Not very many composers throughout history were wind players and, although I can't speak categorically, possibly didn't give great consideration to the lung capacity of the tuba player. I think about the tube inserted in the side of the mouthpiece, and attached to a bellows that was used at the turn of the century to allow continuous notes to be played. I agree that their should be breaths in the music, but an oboist can play for 3 hours without taking a breath and has to learn to expel air quietly through their nose so they don't suffer from oxygen depletion while playing. I use circular breathing when I feel it's necessary and don't make a big deal about it. Yes, phrasing and breathing are related, but are not tied together 100% of the time. Just my thoughts.

Follow Ups: