Re: More about buying a C tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Patrick on June 29, 2002 at 15:14:06:

In Reply to: More about buying a C tuba posted by Doug on June 28, 2002 at 21:56:11:

I know most places will sell you a 56J for 6000-6500, at least thats where most of the quotes I found fell. I just bought a 52J, so I'm a bit biased, but I really love that horn. I went to Baltimore (Highly recommended, make a roadtrip of it, its fun) and played on every tuba Fedderly had that I could afford, even some that I couldn't (try the WIllson 3050, just for fun), and ended up coming away with the Conn. He didn't have any 56J's, but neither does anyone as far as I could find. I played the Meinl-Westons, a few PT's, and some other stuff, and I really loved the 52J I came home with. I've played a few miraphones, at Midwest and in a couple of other stores, and although I love their valves, I just am not a big fan of their sound.

Of the 52J's I played, I played 2 satin silver, 3 bright silver, and a used lacquer. I ended up w/ a satin silver, even though I think its ugly, it sounded the best to me. The used lacquer was a close second, and at a much nicer price, and the others all came in closely behind that. I would suggest playing as many horns, especially Conns, cause they were a little more inconsistent than the MW's and the others. SO the problem w/ getting a 56j is that no one has a bunch in stock that you con try side-by-side.

I'm not as knowledgeable as everyone else thats posting here, but I just went through the same thing you're going through a few weeks ago, and I thought I'd share my experience. But I do KNOW you can get a new 56J for less than 6800. I think Matt quoted me something around 6200, but call to check.

Patrick Mayne

Follow Ups: