Re: extravagant student ensemble trips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lover of a Tuba-ist on June 01, 2003 at 23:36:32:

In Reply to: extravagant student ensemble trips posted by js on June 01, 2003 at 13:09:25:

Ok, I have several issues with this post and here's why....

#1: I was raised in a podunk town in west Texas and the 350 mile radius of Andrews leaves me with nothing but cowpies, pumpjacks and dirt. Not much on the cultural front. People in my town would drive 400+ miles to go to a "good" mall for the day. SO, the idea of a shorter distance trip is quite out of the question.

#2: BAND TRIPS ARE NOT VACATIONS! I work for a band (for crackers and water) and know that the trip they went on was NO vacation. It's a play/learn 24/7 till your back home. So what if it's 700+ miles away. Don't you want your kids to see the world or just stay inside there little bubble and be ignorant to the world around them?

#3: I was fortunate to go to a high school that was blessed with big budgets (yeah oil fields!) This allowed our directors to plan really nice trips to Hawaii (in which we won the King Kameamea Day Marching Festival), Nashville (in which we received top honors and I got to experiance MJTP for the first time), Disney World, and Atlanta. If it wasn't for band I wouldn't have gone to these places.....but I'm glad I did. They were all experiances of a life time and I learned alot.

4# In closing I would like to express my concern for your personal appreciation of the arts and hope that you will not shelter your kids from those things you do not understand.

-HB

Follow Ups: