Re: Re: Re: extravagant student ensemble trips

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by An. on June 02, 2003 at 13:19:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: extravagant student ensemble trips posted by J. Benton on June 01, 2003 at 23:15:25:

First, as far as my knowing the facts -- I wish I didn't know as much as I do (not saying that's much) because then I'd be much more optomistic.

Second, I agree that music is very valuable; that is why I hope to make it my career. That is why I believe that music education should be about educating the students on how to enjoy music; the excitement, the emotion, the story, the art; the fact that music expresses what words cannot. This is what it is all about; not "look at how good a band director I am because we go on these expensive trips."

Third, because of music's improtance we shouldn't have a policy of "if you don't like it drop it." The high school band should not be run as a professional group with a Reiner-want-to-be band teacher at the helm. (Please do not misunderstand this, I do think there are times when the students are petty and should drop the class.) But with music in the danger that it is, we should not try to make it an elite club. A good band teacher should try to reach out to ALL the students, not only the ones who can afford such trips.

Fourth, as many others have pointed out, if the band parent organization of a school (also remember, not every school has such organizations as they MAY be very political and controlling) is willing to pay for ALL the students, then sure, such a trip might be worthwhile. But, if they don't, how do you decide who goes and who stays home. Those who don't pay don't go? Fine. But again, ask yourself, "how is this helping this person enjoy and music?"

I simply believe that music has enough critics already that we don't need to eliminate those who at least have some interest. I would like to go into more detail with some of my ideas, but I don't believe this is the time or place. Anyway, I hope I have clearified my own, humble opinions without being offensive to anyone. I do not usually post, but this was a topic of great interest to me. Most sincerely, _

Follow Ups: