Re: Re: Meinl Weston 451 Euphonium Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brandon Jones on June 03, 2003 at 15:52:08:

In Reply to: Re: Meinl Weston 451 Euphonium Question posted by Jailbirdwatcher on June 03, 2003 at 12:18:06:

I have play tested both these instruments extensively, and I can say that I really like the Besson's, if you can find a good one. What I mean by that is, from horn to horn with Besson's, the craftsmanship varies on all aspects of the instrument. They all seem to have a great sound, and pretty good response in all registers. If you can find one with good valves, good slides, and in good overall shape, go with Besson. With the exception of like 3 notes for me (Eb, E, and F above the staff, which were all a little sharp), every note on the horn centered in A440. Also, another route you may want to explore is the Mirafone. It really is a great horn with a HUGE sound to it. Nice valves, different setup, big bell (12"), and can't go wrong with the price! If you want to try one of them, talk to Roger Lewis at Brasswind as he is a spokesman for them, plus a great tuba player and even better person. He'll help you out with whatever you need. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Follow Ups: