Re: Re: Tuning to A440?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by J. B. on June 04, 2003 at 21:18:59:

In Reply to: Re: Tuning to A440? posted by Mark Wiseman on June 04, 2003 at 12:12:47:

I can't argue with what was just said. However I just have an extra comment to add. What are they teaching in conducting class? Musical expression through conducting, body, and facial gestures.

I further have to state that there are pros and cons about tuning to a tuner. Yes i understand that it helps for reference but i think that's as far as it should go. Our music system is not based on the temperment that if you play every note in a chord perfectly in tune with the tuner then it will be perfectly in tune. As a matter of fact you will soon discover that the fifth has to be flat while the third is sharp a little.. (or the other way around but you should get my drift) the orchestra director at my university stricly forbids the use of tuners as he feels that it trains the eye more than the ear. We as musicians i find are relying more on the mechanical "light" in front of us than our two best tuners... our ears.

Follow Ups: