Re: Re: which Conn Sousa is this?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on June 05, 2003 at 21:46:05:

In Reply to: Re: which Conn Sousa is this? posted by Lee Stofer on June 05, 2003 at 21:09:08:

Just took a look at my 26K again. The collars are stamped 56, but not 26K. There are no signs, that there ever were any more stampings.

My humble theory is, that the bodies and and bells of the 26K's and 28K's could not be confused with any of the BBb models. And as long as the collar ring ## matched no harm could happen.

Whereas there were more BBb models of different dimensions, which made the stamping of the model ## important for a fast sorting out in the packing room. My Conn BBb has 40K plus a collar ring ## stamped on both collar rings.

As for the low range: anything is relative. The 26K is a true bass instrument, but it does not have the overwhelming low BBb, which my basses with 4 valves or a slide have on the relatively same note, which would be an F on the Bb/BBb instruments. A well adjusted 4th valve or a slide moved by good ears always will surpass a 3 valve instrument, which cannot have its slides adjusted on the fly.

I will not enter any evaluation in $$ of this instrument, but there are interesting aspects to the availability of older US sousaphones.

One certain mid-west dealer not so often mentioned on this board, somewhere told, that he shipped 100 old sousas out of the US each year. They then are restored on diverse workshops in the rest of the world and sold from there.

At least one US band instruments' salesman buys up old school instruments, when he sells new instruments.

When he can fill a container it is shipped to Rotterdam. From there these instrument are distributed to European brass houses, where they are restored during periods, where the repairmen are not busy.

My 26K came to me via the latter scheme. I used to hunt in all available shops in Copenhagen to find the right stuff at the right price for my students and myself. One day the 26K sat and waited for me.

When the pros started to prompt me to sell the 26K to them, I told the seller about that (I wanted him to sell them something different). He told that I would be silly, if I did not raise the price considerably, if I would sell. It had gotten much harder to get the better used old instruments, and the prices reflected that fact.

My point, if there is any: If you have a good old sousaphone, then don't sell it. You cannot buy anything comparable today.

That is also why it is so sad, that some school systems do not allow for the acquisition of even professionally restored instruments. But as a retired teacher I can say, that this is not unique for the US.

Klaus

Follow Ups: