Re: Re: Tuba trends of the past

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Phil Lewis on June 08, 2003 at 22:59:39:

In Reply to: Re: Tuba trends of the past posted by Rick Denney on June 08, 2003 at 18:19:55:

Rick, you're theory regarding trends is interesting. I somewhat agree with much of what you said. It is interesting, however, that I was once criticized at a marching band competition for using convertible tubas. The judge didn't feel they had "enough power." Since then, I have switched almost completely to sousaphones and not one judge has criticized our tuba section. Here in Missouri the trend towards to convertible tubas or over the shoulder tubas has not hit with much impact...yet. I'm waiting for that shoe to hit the floor, next. Hopefully, I will have retired by then and can avoid the purchasing frenzy. I do agree about the big name influences on the selection of instruments. I remember when Doc Severensen was endorsing Getzen trumpets, everyone had to have a Getzen trumpet so they could play "just like Doc." No one seemed to figure out that Doc played like Doc not because of the brand name on the instrument, but in spite of it. I remember having the great fortune to have a lesson with Arnold Jacobs at the Gunnison Music Camp back in the sixties when he demonstrated to a brash young tuba player (namely me) that shiny instruments do not make the player. He drove home his point by playing a really hideous looking tuba with black electricians tape plugging up acid holes and making it sound absolutely gorgeous.
And so it goes,
Phil

Follow Ups: