Amati F clock springs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on June 09, 2003 at 17:54:36:

Oh, I forgot to mention, a friend in Bloomington managed to borrow an F tuba for me to play in the after-hours octet reading. It was interesting to do the mental switch to play the low bass clef in F horn part on the F tuba....especially when it wandered into treble clef, still in F. But it blended well with the horns when I made the effort to play quietly.

It was an older Amati 4-valve clock spring tuba, in very good shape. A huge mpc was supplied with it, but I didn't look to see what it was. I had a little trouble with fingerings without the 5th valve. The Amati played not all that differently from my MW 182, and believe it or not, I do think the low C was more accessible. Maybe it was the mouthpiece, and maybe I am just getting better at it. In any case, I still like the sound of my 182 better, but I wouldn't be scared off from a cheaper F tuba at this point, as long as it was in good shape. The valves were a little sticky but I didn't know where to put the oil, so I put up with it.

MA

Follow Ups: