Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dan Perantoni at the IHS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on June 10, 2003 at 10:08:58:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dan Perantoni at the IHS posted by Mary Ann on June 10, 2003 at 09:31:59:

The direction of the airpath through the valve block has no consequences of the type you hint towards. In French horns you will find both directions. In some King models you even will different direct in the F and Bb sides. The same goes for the 3+1 compensating euphoniums and tubas.

The problem with the German trumpets, if any, is the short cylindrical leadpipe. There is very little buffer volume to absorb the pressure fluctuations in pressure during the short blockages of the air passage, when the valves are activated.

However I have performed quite a bit on my German Wolfram trumpet. Actually it is an even more lyrical instrument, than are my piston trumpets.

The problem with US players and some German F-tubas is one of culture.

The US players using adequately selected instruments don't sing elegies.

Even if JoeS emits signs of being a later days CC convert, he has done most of his pro tuba playing on a B&S 4+2RV F tuba.

Sean Chisham has the much newer 5RV F from the same maker with a wider leadpipe and a larger bell throat. It did not prevent him from winning a position, which just about any tuba student envies him.

On a much more humble level I have had a sporadic relation with the old type 4+1RV B&S of a section mate. My test rides were cut short, when I exploited the low range in a full and voluminous way, which made his face blue. He achieved his best results, when I gave him my DW 1L with an enlarged backbore. But his teacher intervened and ordered him to return to a smallish PT. (I am not against PT's as I use a PT-50 with an enlarged backbore on my mostly US-type basses in Eb and BBb).

If the you start out with the desired sound in your ears and select adequate equipment, urban legends will reveal themselves as such ones.

Klaus

Follow Ups: