Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NY Phil moving to Carnegie?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on June 11, 2003 at 09:26:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NY Phil moving to Carnegie? posted by Rattlesnakes... on June 11, 2003 at 08:22:11:

Many years ago I first heard the NY Phil in Carnegie Hall - when Bell was still with it, and I never forgot it. The acoustics of Avery Fisher Hall are horrible and treacherous. I have had the weird experience of playing on that damned stage, watching a cellist not eight feet away from me and hearing nothing she played - a cone of silence, if you will. I know of no musicians who ever had anything good to say about Avery Fischer Hall, with the exception of the underground parking garage. The hall came with the gig, you lived with it.

The Carnegie Hall acoustics are legendary. I had a friend visit me at intermission (another tuba player) who asked me if I had a noisy spring on my third valve - he could hear it up in the balcony! The acoustics are so good, it frees you up concentrate on playing the MUSIC, as opposed to surmouting the rotten, deadspots all over the Fisher Hall's stage. The brass will be able to play a meaningful pianissimo for a change.

Nelson Rockefeller was the guy who came up with the bright idea of knocking down a section of Hell's Kitchen to build Lincoln Center as an urban renewal project in the first place, which almost led to the demolition of Carnegie Hall. As many of know, Isaac Stern, bless his soul, saved Carnegie almost singlehandedly.

There are problems with the current management of Lincoln Center, which have led to this move by the Phil. - my guess. The Lincoln Center's Damrosch Shell was built for the Goldman Band to perform in. Not only has the Goldman Band been kicked out of the Damrosch shell (Damrosch doesn't sound that good, either), it is scheduled for demolition.

I for one will be attending concerts at Carnegie Hall, if the Phil makes the move (and I believe they will). It's a great deal for the musicians, and the listeners. It's easier to get to, also. Avery Fisher Hall should be demolished, and maybe they can try again with a better architect. The place is a dog, it's always been a dog. The delis are better around Carnegie as well.

I hope the NY Phil will make use of the excellent Carnegie Recital Hall (adjacent to the main auditorium) as well. IT sounds great too.

Follow Ups: