Re: A neophyte's guide to instrument care

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on June 13, 2003 at 19:35:10:

In Reply to: A neophyte's guide to instrument care posted by Gordon Stanfield on June 13, 2003 at 11:36:19:

Well, I was going to let more competent and articulate responders answer this, but I don't see much action, so I'll put my oar in.

If your horns are rotaries, pour a teaspoon of thin oil (like Al Cass) down the leadpipe often (like once a week or more, depending on playing frequency). Blow in the leadpipe while actuating the valves to distribute the oil...or, pull tuning slides and pour some oil in there to run down on the valves. Also, get a pinpoint oiler for rotary bearings and linkages (thingies that push on each other).

If they are piston horns, remove the pistons, wipe them down, and put liberal amounts of oil on them every time you play. Some oil in the leadpipe may help keep down red rot, also.

I'd recommend starting with Al Cass Fast Oil an see if you like it. Different players swear by different products. I use ultrapure lamp oil down the leadpipe and Hetman on the bearings and linkages for my Mirafone. Never have any gripe.

Do an archive search on 'cleaning' and you'll find more advice than you need.

Good luck. Have fun.
jlb

Follow Ups: